One of my favorite winter super fruits, oranges are refreshing, zesty, and an ideal pick-me-up in cold winter months. Oranges come in a variety of sizes and colors, and don’t necessarily have to be orange in color. They are a great and easy snack, delicious in smoothies, wonderful for dressings and marinades, in drinks, salads, rice dishes, and more.
- Oranges are an excellent source of Vitamin C (duh). In fact, one medium orange contains 93% of the daily-recommended value of Vitamin C. Eat oranges to power up your immune system and reap tons of antioxidant benefits.
- Vitamin C helps to get rid of free radicals that damage our cells, oxidize cholesterol, and lead to inflammation in the body.
- A specific phytonutrient in oranges, herperidin, has been shown to be very anti-inflammatory and can help to lower high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- The World Health Organization notes that a diet rich in citrus offers protection against cardiovascular disease, cancer, and blood pressure due to the folate, potassium, and Vitamin C found in oranges.
- Oranges have fiber to promote a healthy digestion system and blood sugar levels.
- Drinking orange juice doesn’t quite cut it. Juicing removes many of the orange’s beneficial compounds, antioxidants, and natural fiber needed to slow the absorption of the fruit’s sugar. Consuming the entire orange is the best way to go!
Oranges are protected by their thick peel so buying organic is not necessary. However, if you plan on using the zest of the orange try to buy organic.
Buy oranges that are firm and heavy; this means they’re juicier! Store oranges either at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Nutrient dense chia seeds + sweet and bright citrus + zippy ginger and lemon = One happy, healthy, delicious springtime chia seed pudding. Read the recipe
Nourishing, hydrating, antioxidant rich, healthy-fat filled. Just a few reasons why this is totally the salad to eat all autumn long. Now get glowing! Read the recipe
Sweet and bright pineapple, creamy banana, juicy orange, zippy ginger + crunchy chia + earthy turmeric + smooth nut milk = your favorite new way to get anti-inflammatory. Read the recipe (3 comments)
Delicious and energizing Beet, Orange, Carrot, & Ginger Juice made without a juicer! This is a wonderful and vitamin packed pick-me-up! Read the recipe
Spicy, bright, juicy, green, and more delicious than Christian Bale, this smoothie will pick-you up and make you feel amazing. Read the recipe
Today I want to share one of my favorite summery smoothies. It’s filled with beautifying vitamins, plenty of fiber, so much Vitamin C it’s crazy, and a whole lot of digestive enzyme magic. Basically it will make you sparkle inside and out. Read the recipe (1 comment)
Hate the taste of water? Infuse it with (fruity, veggie, herb) goodness! Read the recipe