Nothing says fall like crisp, freshly picked apples. Plus, apples come in so many different varieties that it’s impossible not to like them. They are easy to incorporate into many dishes, fantastic in baking, a great snack on the go, and perfect in lunch boxes. Put apples in smoothies, salads, salsas, rice dishes, pies, desserts, and oats. Puree them, roast them, bake them, turn them into sauce, eat them raw…apples are versatile and oh so tasty.
- Apples are a good source of soluble fiber, which will help you feel full while aiding in happy-belly digestion.
- The fiber in apples acts as a binding agent with fat in the intestine. This means that as fiber passes from our body, the fat does too. This helps to lower ‘bad’ HDL cholesterol and keep everything in our intestines running smoothly.
- Apples have vitamin C, which keeps our immune system nice and shiny.
- Apples are high in antioxidants, which protect and repair the cells in our body, and keep us protected from free radicals (icky atom groups that react with important things in our body…like DNA and cells.)
- Apple’s phytonutrients can help regulate blood sugar, which prevents spikes and energy crashes. So next time you’re hungry, reach for an apple instead of a Twinkie, and feel your energy levels skyrocket without the crash.
Always buy organic apples if you can. Apples regularly are found at the top of the EWG’s ‘dirty dozen’ list of foods contaminated with the most pesticides. Not to mention, organic, crisp, fresh apples just taste better!
Apples ripen almost 10 times faster at room temperature. In order to keep them nice and crisp, store apples in the refrigerator or below 40 F.
Crisp and sweet Autumn Glory apples + warming spices + caramel dates + crunchy walnuts = the sweetest snack ever. Read the recipe (3 comments)
Sweet roasted apples + warming spices + crunchy walnuts and almonds + heart healthy oats + gooey dates + fiber filled coconut flour = apple spice donut holes. Yum! Read the recipe (5 comments)
Crisp seasonal apples + crunchy pomegranate seeds + sweet coconut sugar + warming spices + sticky dates + fiber filling oats + fat loving coconut oil = Your favorite new autumn crumble. Or crisp. Or whatever you want to call it! Read the recipe
Creamy and dreamy date sweetened and spiced cashew milk + digestive friendly oats + antioxidant filled chia seeds + sweet fiber rich apples = Game changing overnight oats. Read the recipe (2 comments)
Delicious and energizing Beet, Orange, Carrot, & Ginger Juice made without a juicer! This is a wonderful and vitamin packed pick-me-up! Read the recipe
Here is my long awaited contribution to the health and juice community: my favorite Zingy Green Juice filled with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants and plant goodness. Here’s an ever better bonus – you don’t even need a juicer to make it! Read the recipe (2 comments)
Butternut Squash Soup for the soul; that’s exactly how we’ll describe this velvety, creamy, subtly sweet, and warming soup. Read the recipe (5 comments)
Another season, another kale salad. Celebrate autumn with crisp, juicy apples, sweet pomegrante seeds, red walnuts, seasonal kale, and the most delicious maple tahini dressing! Read the recipe (5 comments)
These cinnamon apple stuffed sweet potatoes combine two of my favorite fall flavors in one warming and delicious dish. You'll love these! Read the recipe (2 comments)