Upon moving to Portland in the summertime, I discovered how blackberries are really supposed to taste – especially when they’re picked just fresh off the vine. Blackberries are easily one of the most delicious (and beautiful!) berries and are so simple to incorporate into your healthy and radiant diet. I love putting blackberries into smoothies, oats, baked desserts, salads, quinoa dishes, with coconut yogurt, vegan ice creams, pancakes, and just snacking on them by the dozen!
- A berry of many names, blackberries are also called brambleberries, dewberries, thimbleberries, and lawers.
- Blackberries are bursting with potent antioxidants; you can tell by just looking at their deep, dark color. Notably, blackberries contain anthocyanins: compounds that are incredibly important for heart health, cognitive function, and vascular function.
- Anthocyanins in blackberries also prevent oxidative stress to cells, lipid oxidation of cholesterol, and promote anti-inflammatory effects – a few more reasons why they’re amazing for that heart of yours!
- In a 2006 study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, blackberries were shown to have antioxidant capacity out the wazzoo, at 5.75 millimoles per serving – far above other foods.
- Blackberries also contain plenty of fiber for gastrointestinal health along with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
Buy organic blackberries – berries are always pesticide heavy. Purchase blackberries that have deep, dark colors without hulls attached. This is a sign they were picked too early! In packaged blackberries, check for mold and stickiness, and pass on containers of mushy berries. Store blackberries in the refrigerator where they’ll stay fresh for around 3-5 days. Blackberries can also be washed, dried, and frozen for up to 6 months to reap summer bounty in the dead of winter. Hello creamy blackberry porridge!
The juiciest blackberries + succulent figs + creamy coconut flavors + sweet raw honey + homemade hemp milk + healthy fat filled almond butter = a summer smoothie fresh from the farm and straight to your table. Yum! Read the recipe (3 comments)
Crunchy, goodness filled, and goddess worthy ginger and cashew granola + creamy, deliciously sweet, homemade honey almond milk + gingery, fresh, ripe, juicy peaches and blackberries = Summer. Seriously. Read the recipe (1 comment)
Fresh baby spinach + sweet, antioxidant filled local berries + crunchy, healthy fat filled, and skin loving seeds and nuts, nourishing avocado, crunchy fennel + honey and tahini dressing = Seriously delicious skin food. Read the recipe (2 comments)
Beautifying berries + creamy nut milk + sweet honey + digestive enabling lemon juice + humble rolled oats + thickening and super chia = The prettiest, purplest porridge ever! Read the recipe (1 comment)
Zesty lemon + superfood chia seeds + creamy nut milk + sweet raw honey + juicy blackberries = your favorite new bright & flavorful spring chia pudding! Read the recipe (7 comments)
A 4-ingredient vegan ice cream made soley with delectable and nutritious goodness. Springtime has never tasted so good! Read the recipe (5 comments)